Sunday, July 5, 2009

My Sisters Keeper

I left this movie feeling like it was a bit life-changing. First of all, it makes me so mad and sad that illnesses and cancer happens everyday to people, young and old. Cancer blows. It sucks so bad and it makes me mad. At the same time, I feel like those of us that are lucky enough to not be sick can and do learn so much from those that are. I think that anyone whose life has been touched in one way or another by cancer will say that they've learned something about having a positive attitude or outlook on life from someone who was sick. How is that even possible? Its so interesting to me that Kate (who I felt was a good representation of many people with the awful disease) was ready to die and SHE was the one reassuring her FAMILY that everything was going to be alright. We all have something to learn from that...

This may sound crazy but I think that God answered a prayer of mine today by me seeing that movie. I went to church beforehand and while I normally feel refreshed and revitalized after doing so, this time was different. I just like...felt blah. I was not happy. I wasnt in a bad mood but I wasnt in a good one either. I was praying at church that maybe what I needed was to learn something new about God or to see Him work in my life. He works in strange ways.

I think that we all spend too much time planning and counting and recounting and making sure that what we do is in line with some imaginary "best" or "should be." Life is so short. Whether I die tomorrow or in 70 years, life is short. I was thinking on my way out of the movie about how awful and sad and TERRIFYING it is that my child someday could, in fact, have cancer. But I mean...I could have gotten in an accident on the way home. I could never get married. I could die tomorrow. I know that is horribly depressing but my point is that there is no use in all that planning or preparing for the worst, when it comes down to it. Maybe my child will have cancer or maybe I will never have children, but just think of all the other ways I have been blessed. Maybe its all in how we look at things. Kate had cancer but Kate probably lived more than so many people that live until they are 80. She lived with her whole heart and she loved with her whole heart. I think that I got the message tonight that I need to spend less time worrying about what other people think of me or what I should do for other people and I need to DO more for ME. Its okay to have my best interest at heart sometimes. Its okay for me to take my eyes off of what other people want of me and to do what I want for myself. As long as I am following who I want myself to be and what I believe to be Gods plan for my life, who cares what other people think of the things that I do? I will always have a huge heart for my friends and family and I will always do whatever I can to make them happy or their lives easier...so I think its okay for me to start to do those things for myself, as well. If I want to spend money and go visit friends, I'm going to do so. If I want to have a piece of cheesecake or stay in bed for a few more hours, I'm going to do so. Life is TOO short.

This movie also reminded me how often I forget to have a thankful heart and how often I count the things that are going wrong in life instead of realizing how blessed every aspect of my life is and has always been. I mean...I am 22. I am so thankful for those 22 years. I am so thankful for my life and my friends and my family. And in the end...what else really matters?

Maybe its dumb for me to be reflective and for me to think something ficticious can have some life-changing message. Oh well...they have to come from somewhere, yeah?

2 comments:

Kiley said...

1) it's not dummb. i'm glad the movie made you think.
2) spending money to visit friends = a good idea... ;-)
3) cheesecake is fantastic.
4) my word for the word verification is "urinate."

Monica said...

Jamie-

I know I'm a little late on this, but I really enjoyed your post.

Working with the oncology kids at the children's hospitals in Columbus and Cinci has given me the same perspective as you got from the movie but way deeper. On one hand, I think it's necessary to get some perspective now and then, while on the other hand I think it's not really all that mentally healthy to go around thinking (like I do) "it could be me!" "it could be my kids!" "none of us have much time!" It's a weird tightrope to walk.

I pray for all of the kids I met in the hospital(s) every night. It's sad. But, like you said, almost every one of them had more life in their souls than anyone else I've ever seen... so I guess there's that to hang on to.