Sunday, September 20, 2009

Still adjusting...

I got back on Friday night from spending a week helping to open up a new Phi Mu chapter at the University of South Carolina! It was a really awesome experience. I liked it a lot. It was a whole lot of work but really made me very proud to be a Phi Mu. The campus was so supportive and we had 500 girls wanting to go through recruitment with us. It is pending whether or not this was the biggest chapter opening in Panhellenic history!!! Its so great to be apart of such a strong organization and it almost made me cry to see all of our hard work pay off on Bid Day...252 new members. that is HUGE.

I am still kind of going through an adjustment period. I really wish it would hurry up and be over. I try to really be strong and to know that I am in this place for a reason and that this is definitely where I am meant to be, but sometimes it is hard. I still havent made many friends outside of work. I think that I finally made up my mind about which church I want to get involved in, so thats good...but I still have yet to meet a lot of people. I know that these things just take time but its so foreign to me to not have a group of friends. Its also foreign to me to be living alone. At times, I really like it, but still at other times, I really think that I would enjoy having a roommate. It just is quiet and lonely sometimes.

Prayer request: There have been 2 armed robberies in my apartment complex since the beginning of September. Apparently, two women have been approached in the parking lot and their purses have been stolen at gun point. This legit terrifies me and I have been so scared to leave my apartment at all. Please just pray that this doesnt happen to me...I know that, statistically, it wont, but I am still really scared. It also just bothers and frustrates me because I am alone and little things like this often make it like...hard for me to sleep at night. I know that God will protect me and that, honestly, there is nothing I can do but be prepared, but it is still really scary and annoying. It is also so deceiving because i LOVE my complex. It is so pretty and welcoming and gated...and there are lots of families and kids playing outside all the time. It just goes to show that things like this can happen anywhere, I guess. I just wish that I could feel like I am at least living in a SAFE environment since I am alone. I am trying to tell myself that I will be okay and that if this does happen to me...it will be fine...they can HAVE my purse. I would just...rather it not happen...haha. My apt complex is having a meeting about it tomorrow night...hopefully they have something productive to say.

So, I think all of these things are playing into my homesickness. I really miss my family and my friends and everything being familiar. I miss Columbus during football season and I miss Miami all the time. I know that this is being given to me as a learning experience, and I am SO thankful for that blessing but I sometimes feel like I will move back to Ohio sooner than once planned. We'll see. It really does help that I really like my job. I think I am just still in the process of completely structuring a new life and I just need to remember that setting that foundation takes time.

That being said (haha)...I have been doing lots of fun things! I went to the Georgia Aquarium a few weeks ago and that was AWESOME. I absolutely loved it and thought it was so cool. I joined a small group at church and I am still a little weary about it but its a step in the right direction =) I went to a Georgia Tech football game and will most definitely get to the World of Coke in the next couple of weeks. I also want to take a tour of CNN...it looks super cool.

I will try to be better at updating this thing. I have email chains going with a lot of my friends so I often feel that writing in here is just a repeat of what I have already written...I will be better though!

No comments: