Monday, July 18, 2011

Phi Mu UIFI Session 3



Note: I wrote this about a week and a half ago...not really sure why it didnt get posted!


I mentioned that I was facilitating UIFI in my last blog post so I thought I would write about it post-conference!

In short, it was such an incredible experience. I spent the week with the 10 amazing Phi Mu leaders pictured above. They are students from:

Bellarmine University
University of Alabama
LSU Shreveport
Albright
University of Georgia
Auburn University
Georgia Southern
Georgia College and State University
Appalachian State
Bowling Green State University

They, along with 65 other chapter leaders and 13 interfraternal facilitators made up Phi Mu UIFI's Gamma class and were participants of the 3rd institute held for Phi Mu this summer.

UIFI is the premier leadership development institute out there right now. It is the real deal and has been around for 22 years. It focuses on strengthening Greek leaders, and in turn, the fraternal movement. We spent time talking about leadership and how our character and personal values should play in to that. Do we make decisions that are congruent with our personal values? Congruent with the values that Phi Mu was founded upon? Typically, this is not how we make decisions, and largely due to this, the fraternal movement is under fire. After those discussions, the curriculum took a turn and began to examine this question:

Is Greek life still relevant to the college student or is it a hindrance to the college experience?

During the "Great Debate," it was evident how easy it is to claim that Greek life is a hindrance...how heartbreaking. What are we going to do about it?

It was truly unlike any other leadership program that I've ever been apart of. I watched for 5 days as light bulbs went off for each of the participants. They were inspired to make a change. They built the confidence that they need to live their values. They recommitted themselves to the values of Phi Mu and to elevating our organization.

Mainly, I just feel really lucky to have opportunities to be a part of things like this. I left inspired to propel the fraternal movement forward. We DO matter and make a huge, positive impact on the collegiate experience. There is a long way to go before everyone agrees with us, but I'm committed to seeing change happen.

Here's to hoping that the participants run with their ideas and are supported by their chapters!

No comments: