So...JUST KIDDING...never made it to Virginia.
I was suppose to be flying out on Thursday night at 8:20pm. Hara (my boss) was going to meet me in Richmond to pick me up and then we were going to drive to the College of William and Mary that night. I got to the airport around 6:30. I really didnt need to get there that early, but I was nervous because this was the first time that I drove myself and parked at the airport...I decided to give myself plenty of time =) I realized, when we werent boarding the plane at 8:15, that we were going to be delayed. 2 of our flight attendants were delayed getting in to the ATL airport so we had to wait on them to arrive. We were delayed until 9:05...but then the flight attendants didnt show up until 9:35. We finally boarded the plane but it was CHAOTIC. There were a million people trying to get on this plane standby because there had been delays all day out of ATL due to weather. I mean...it was...less than reassuring when about to board a plane that people's tickets werent registering with the system and seats were overbooked...it all made me very nervous. I prefer it to be nice, easy, and calm when getting ready to be jetted 10,000 feet into the air...
We boarded and took off around 10:15, I think. About 30 minutes into the flight (half way), the pilot came on the PA system and said the following (roughly...):
"Uh...I'm very sorry to report that we are having some trouble with the pressure on the plane and also that our de-icing mechanism is failing. Due to these circumstances, it is necessary for us to turn around and get back on the ground in Atlanta. I am very sorry for the inconvenience, but it is not safe for us to continue with the plane in this condition."
OKAY...WHAT. Like...reallllyyyy?! Honestly, it was completely a God thing, because I was not at all scared. Normally, when people hear that something is wrong with the plane, they freak out about it crashing, right? No, not me...I was just MAD that I wasnt going to get to go on the chapter visit...haha...praise the Lord? It wasnt until after we landed that I realized that fear would have been an okay reaction to the situation.
So...we safely landed in Atlanta and then the pilot wouldnt let us off the plane. He said that the mechanics were going to come and see if they could fix the problem. Call me crazy, but if we just had to do an emergency landing because something was wrong with the plane we were on, i DO NOT want to have it fixed quickly allowing us to try the journey to Richmond a second time. No, thanks. We sat there for about 15 minutes and then they decided to just cancel the flight because the plane was too messed up. Yikes.
So, at roughly 11:30, I got OFF of the plane in Atlanta and stood in line for about 20 minutes trying to get a refund for my ticket. After realizing that the line was easily 0.5 miles long and made up of people wanting Delta to book them a hotel room, I decided to leave and to just call the next day (which was productive...full refund). I finally made it back to my car and into my cozy bed at about 1am. Phew.
All of that was really a blessing...I have been sick for about a week and just cannot get over it. I think that it is just a cold but it has made me feel terrible. Traveling probably wouldnt have allowed my body to rest.
I just spent about 2 hours out on my balcony reading with a lovely glass of lemonade. I bought pretty new chairs today (they are a cheery green!) and have been just waiting to be able to do that since I moved in. I LOVE reading outside...specifically on porches, for some reason. It was great. However, the half of my body that was facing the sun is now burnt...oops? Maybe I should have switched sides?
Less Is More
6 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment